If you have seen the Hangover Part II, you would be well aware of all that Thailand has to offer; parties, cocktails, beaches, Phang Nga Bay, floating markets, national parks, islands and tasty foods. This list goes on and on. A major attraction is general affordability, you don't have to take out a mortgage to enjoy the luxuries here! Thailand is also a popular spot for sex tourism and well known for 'ladyboys', Bangkok's redlight district is visited by many travellers. The 'oldest profession in the world' has flourished here, with many locals believing that it is a necessary part of Thai culture.
[ When ]All year round
[ City ]Thailand
[ Good For ]Those who want something exotic and close to home
[ Weather ]Hot and humid
[ Crowd ]67 Million
[ Cost ]$$
[ Sex Work ]
Laws against sex work in Thailand are hazy. Caution recommended.
[ Sexy Score ]
Thailand is pretty close to Australia and you can find direct and fairly cheap air tickets. Public transport is described as being chaotic, but this just adds to the adventure! The main ways to travel are by bus, tuk-tuk or motorbike.
Thailand is filled with many hotels, motels and hostels so you are sure to find something that suits your style and budget. Why not book something along the beach or at a luxurious resort? Go on, spoil yourself! Whatever you do, remember to book in early
It's the romantic sunsets, sexy beach babes, party girls and general good vibes that give Thailand the whopping score of 4/5 for sexiness.
- Eat the street food. Don't be afraid to eat it as it is often safer (and cheaper) than restuarants. Things straight from the deep frier or hot wok are good options.
- Take advantage of happy hour to save some pennies
- Explore Bangkok. First impressions of this city might not be great but it grows on you. Just give it a little love.
- Go on a jungle trek in Chiang Mai
- Check out Khao Sok National Park. Amazing!
- Relax on a tropical island and go scuba diving
- Learn to cook. Thai food is delicious and relatively easy to cook, and there ought to be some classes available
- Be mindful of monsoon season, with rainfall peaking in October and November. Avoid these times if you can
- Remember to hydrate. It's hot and you don't want to miss out on the fun because you got heat stroke
- Sex in Other Cities is all about enjoying healthy sex while away. A major part of this is mutual consent. Good sex is when two people are in agreement and both willing. One night stands and getting in the sheets are fun. Remember to stay safe. Use a condom. Go with your gut instinct. If you're unsure the sex worker is of age, its best to walk away. Don't put yourself at risk of sexual assault charges.
- Taking drugs is illegal in Thailand and drug takers and treated almost the same as drug dealers. If you're found popping pills, there is a risk of ending up in a very dodgy Thai prison. There is also the risk of having to pay a heavy bribe to local police
Theft is common in hot tourist spots. Be sure to only take as much cash as you need for the day.
STI's, including HIV, are highly common in Thailand. Combined with the party and adenture vibes, you've got a good chance of picking something up if you don't use protection. Always pack and use condoms. Getting tested when you arrive back home is also a great idea.
There are government STI clinics throughout the country, although it's difficult to know where they are exactly. Local health professionals might be able to point you in the right direction.
Another option would be the 18 PDA clinics. These are community based clinics that distribute contraceptives and condoms, referrals and sexual health education. It's possible that they conduct tests themselves, but if they don't they will surely know where to send you.
Population and Community Development Association
8 Sukhumvit Soi 12, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand.
Tel +66 2 229 4611, fax +66 2 229 4632
Image 1: s.take-zak https://www.flickr.com/photos/take-zak
Image 2: Priority Travel http://www.prioritytravel.co.za/shop/beach-holiday/3-phuket-phi-phi-krabi-12-nights-thailand/
Image 3: Phanganist http://phanganist.com/content/fullmoon-party-koh-phangan-february-2013
Want to know more?
Sex on holiday happens.
Whether planned or not, away from home we lose at least some of our inhibitions
and may take more risks than we would at home.
This is ok, it’s what makes travelling so exciting.
Accepting this before we go is the first step to planning.
To help you get home with no more than a bruised bank account
and awesome memories, here are some useful tips: